Travel Insurance Enquiries up 31% since restrictions lifted

13 Aug, 2021

Following last Wednesday’s government announcement ending the amber-plus restrictions in France, and also moving seven other countries from the amber list to the green list, price comparison website, MoneySuperMarket saw a 31% uplift of visitors comparing the cost of travel insurance versus the week before.

Analysis of customer visits from last Thursday 5 August to Sunday 8 August showed summer isn’t over yet with 87% of enquiries for August departures, and the other 13% for September onwards.

Spain (33.4%) topped the list of the most popular destination customers were looking to travel to, followed by the Greek Islands (14.85%) and France (6.53%). The United Kingdom was in seventh place accounting for 3.43% of enquiries, ahead of Malta, mainland Greece and the UAE.

Top 10 destinations for single trip enquires 5-8 August 2021

 

Destination Percentage of enquiries
Spain 33.4
Greek Islands 14.85
France 6.53
Croatia 5.65
Portugal 4.51
Cyprus 3.78
United Kingdom 3.43
Malta 3.42
Greece 2.51
UAE 1.81
Other 20.11

When looking at annual policies, Europe was the clear leader for those looking to take regular trips making up 61% of enquiries.

 

Annual policy enquiries 5-8 August 2021

Destination Percentage
Europe 61%
Worldwide 25%
Worldwide (excluding USA, Canada, Mexico and Caribbean) 10%
One country stated 4%

Helen Chambers, travel insurance expert at MoneySuperMarket said: “It is great to see an easing in the restrictions; the demand and desire for holidays this summer is clearly there. Our advice is always to make sure you take out travel insurance as soon as you book your trip – whether it is for a break here in the UK or abroad.

“Travel insurance doesn’t just cover you for the time you are away, cancellation cover also gives you protection should you or a member of your family suffer from a serious illness, injury or death. In these times, it is worth being aware, cancellation cover can also offer protection should you be required to self-isolate.

“In essence, taking out a policy at the time of making a booking will not only give you the best value for money and the longest protection via your policy, but also peace of mind that your trip is protected for unforeseen circumstances ahead of your departure. With a family policy for a week in Spain starting from less than £14.00, it is a no-brainer to get yourself covered so you can relax and look forward to your holiday.”